Thursday 2 August 2007

Mark´s Day 9

Well, what a day. We set off early and today has been cool. It onlt got up to 29 degrees. So, we put in some kms.

We past through Burgos. The entrance to this city is ugly, but the older town at the centre is beautiful and the Cathedral is spectacluar.

Marrita walk with us today and it was nice to hear the stories, thoughts and opinions of someone else. She is a very positive lady who sees nothing as a problem, it can always be solved. I am not so sure.

My feet are almost back to normal, remembering that the miles themselves leave your feet feeling sore all the time. My right hip continues to be a problem, but I am not here to enjoy myself. I am Uno Peregrino, a pilgrim. My suffering is helping others :->

My plans are to walk with Arthur as far as I can and bus forward to a point 100km outside of Santiago and make my way in from there. This will mean that I can still receive my Compostela certificate. This is the way most people do it i.e. they only do 100km. By the time we are finished, Arhtur and myself will have done over six times that distance.

Two weeks tomorrow, I am in Santiago.

Later Dudes.

11 comments:

Imelda said...

Happy Birthday Arthur!

Sounds like you put in the miles yesterday (2 August). Thought I had heard something about big steak dinner in Burgos but not sure it happened. Well, 3 August is an important date. Hope you make time to rest and celebrate. But it's your birthday, Arthur, so you just do whatever the hell you fancy.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

Sounds like it's been a bit of an adventure so far. Mark - hope your foot, knee, hip, and so on and so forth, hold out. Very unfortunate that you were unable to complete in the manner you intended but I feel the good Lord allowed you to damage your foot for a good reason. Should give you a chance to look at more than just your feet. I'm sure that both of you will now find the journey more rewarding now that you have a good friend to share your experiences with.

Good luck guys, and have an extra beer today just for me.

Happy Birthday Arthur (that means the beers are on Mark - All Day WooooHoooo!!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark & Arthur

Glad to hear things are going well, if not quite to plan.

Look after dem dones & stop to smell the roses.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Hope the two of you are having a wonderful time, despite all your trials. Sounds like you're battling through and making great progress regardless, and having the adventure of a lifetime in the process.

Sending you both love and all the very best for a continued safe and exciting journey. Mark - hope your ails are improving. Arthur - many happy returns.

Anonymous said...

Aside - Mark...Probably not at the forefront of your thoughts at the moment but just to remind you that the footy season kicks off again tomorrow (Celtic v Killie (Sat) and ICT v Gers (Sun)). I'm sure you'll be checking the web for the results but needless to say I'll keep you informed.

Come on the Killie...tee hee hee!!

Anonymous said...

Correction - ICT v Gers (Sat) and Celtic v Killie (Sun)

p.s. You've probably seen the draw for Champs league - Rangers...Ouch! Celtic...Double Ouch!!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you all! Keep the good spirit up, and give my love to Marita if you still walk with her!
Love from Sweden!

dee said...

Hi AJ, Hope you are having a wonderful holiday or at least the beer is gid!!!. Is the knee holding up you old git ( that was from John and he said old bastard but I said you were'nt old!!!) Seriously hope it's going well and put loads of photos on. If it make you feel better its cloudy and cool here but we've been to the pub and it was warm in there!!

Lots of love the best sister in law in the world ever
Dee
xxx

ianbeattie1 said...

Enjoying reading about your adventures. Mark, hope the injuries heal quickly and that you are able to enjoy the trip. It's an amazing achievement. Ian

Brian D said...

Its a long and winding Road .. A hot and a heavy load..
Happy Birthday big man ,, I hope you managed that Laphroaig .. I have some and a few chilled beers on standby for your return..Hope the back is holding out cheers Brian

Unknown said...

Hi Both

Great to great hear that you are both getting along fine (sorry to see that Mark has had to stop running). You are both an inspiration to the rest of us who are just managing to keep going day to day!!

Keep it up

May