Saturday 28 July 2007

In Medieval Towns

Hi All,
Arrived in Puente la Reina yesterday and they were really "running the bulls". All the men were dressed in white with red scarves tied at neck and waist.

The main street was blocked off with gates at each sidestreet. The gates were slatted vertically so that people could step into the street to stand in front of the bulls and at the appropriate point, ie when the bull was about to mince them, jump back through the slat to saftey. It seemed to be the thing to get a monentary grasp of one of the horns as the bull passed by. I can admit to a wee panic when a bull came charging up the street and three people, me included, were trying to get back through the space designed for one.

Seems like everyone was having a good time.

Have to go, will add more later.

Back again on Sunday.
After frightening myself I booked into another huge hostel, 100 beds plus. It was fine except it kept more relaxed hours that the usual accommodation and a few of the residents got quite relaxed (as newts) and getting them to be quite was a bit of a job. Nevertheless got sufficient sleep to be up at 6.30 and on the road for 7.15 heading for Estelle.

Nothing much happened on the road except is got very hot. Made good time and arrived in Estelle about 1.30. Hung around for a couple of hours thinking that I would move on for another two hours but at 3.30 it was 38.5C so the decision was made for me.

Glad I did. Had a very pleasent time. Met Bob from Manchester, a really nice guy who had done part of the Camino before and was a font of knowledge about the way from Burgos to Leon. Seems it is easy enough if we get a reasonable temp whic seems not to be on the cards.

Went to visit the Church of San Pedro built in the 14th Century. Looks it too but very interesting. Had a special walk around the cloisters, reserved purely for the Pelegrinos (pilgrims that is).

Bed and awake at 4.45. More to do with the pushing on the mattress from the bunk below. Seems like one of the pelegrinos was upset by my nasal problems. Got organised and on the way to Los Arcos by 5.45.

About 4km out from Estelle there is a monastery which owns a vineyard and as part of the service to pilgrims there is a fountain for water and one for wine. In the books we have read, the wine is not supposed to start flowing until 10.30 but the monks have moved onto 24/7 service and I partook of a sample at approx. 6.30 and I have the photos to prove it. Not too bad either.

Moved on via the joyously cold morning, through vineyards on one side and hay fields on the other. The hay harvest is in but the grapes have a way to go yet.

Thankfully the sun took it´s time heating up the land and it was just about 11.00 that it started to get hot just as I arrived at Los Arcos.

The town is not as grandly medieval as Puente la Reina or Estelle but there is an aura that things have not moved on since the middle ages. Since it is Sunday the church bells were calling the faithful (and the faithless) to church. Two churchs ringing bells at the same time. It was strangely enjoyable.

After lunch I decided to push on and that was a bit of a mistake. I had unwittingly walked through the heat yesterday got away with ti so I thought I would push my luck a bit and go that extra 7km. I will not be doing that again.

Halfway along the road I met Daniel from Tarbes (Southern France near Pau). It really helped to be able to speak to someone (he of course speaks English, Spanish and German) to keep the thought of the heat at bay.

Arrived at Torres del Arcos to find that all the beds were gone but we could sleep on mattresses on the balcony. That is what is happening. Will let you know what the stars foretell tomorrow.
best,
Arthur

3 comments:

Johnny Dx said...

Nice job Arthur...38.5 degrees...too hot!

I look forward to seeing you photos when you are able to upload them.

Good luck.

John Kynaston said...

Hi Mark

We are in Spaijn at the moment on Holiday. We are staying about an hour north of Alicante. I´ve been out running at 7am and it is hot then so I´m sure you are finding it tough as the day gets hotter. Anyway well done and I look forward to following your progress.

John

To Santiago and beyond said...

Hi, Easy enough today, only 33C.
best,
Arthur