Wednesday 4 July 2007

Ola!

Hello. Hamilton signing in.

Arthur has started this thing rolling so I guess I had better post something. As he said, a week and half ago I, and a lot of friends, ran the West Highland Way Race. It was its usually mixture of highs and lows. Mostly highs this year, I am pleased to say. No broken bones this time and the weather, generally, was very kind to us.

So, I finished in just under 25 hours which is alright for a race that just destroys some people. Most participants would rest up for a couple weeks afterwards...I don't have that luxury. I gave myself four days rest and then hit the pavement once again. My knees are really sore right now so I am keeping the mileage down and, really, I'm just keeping things moving.

Although the plan is to complete the Camino in no more than 23 days, I have produced a schedule based on 20 days. I will try to keep to this, always having that extra three days should I get injured, become overly tired or run into bad weather. It means I can have an easy day or a day off if I need it. That's the plan anyway.

I have most of my equipment now. Ellen Thomson, a fellow WHW Runner and a good friend, has offered me her rucksac for the adventure so that is a great help. There are still odds and sods to get but the one big thing that I have forgotten so far is Travel Insurance. Yes, what a tube! How can you forget that. Well, Pauline usually does that and she hasn't done it this time, so it's her fault. She will just have to sort that out this weekend.

Off to Skye this weekend for a bit of R,R&B i.e Rest, Relaxation and most importantly Beer. Spoken like a true athlete eh.

3 comments:

Mike Mason said...

Mark, of course we will all be waiting for the video release. Don't forget to learn the Spanish for:
I have stubbed my toe but will soldier on...............
I have an eyelash caught on my eyeball but will soldier on......
Where is the nearest toilet...oh don't bother..................

John said...

Good luck chaps..I'm looking forward to it already :)

allybea said...

Good luck guys. You are clearly bonkers but I mean it in the nicest possible way!