Tuesday 31 July 2007

Mark´s Day 7 (The Holiday begins)

So, I am a walker now. The shame of it :->

Hobbling about a bit this morning until I took off the dressing that the Monk in Santo Domingo Monastery had put on my foot and put my own on. The Ancient might have been an incredibly caring and compassionate soul but he knew sod all about padding up a foot.

He did say I should rest a couple of days but when I said that I would walk on he said that I was a ´Warrior´. Thought Mike Mason might like to here that :-> Hamilton, star of film and now the Catholic Church has bestowed the honour of ´Warrior of St. James´upon him.

Result!

Arthur Loughran put his on plans aside and bused through to Santo Domingo last night in order that we can spend the next ten or so days walking together. As I can´t now complete the Camino the way I wanted to, I am more than happy to do this.

Today we set off at 6:30am from Santo Domingo, through the crop fields of La Rioja and now into Burgos region, in the burning sun.

We have just had a beer and sandwich and on checking the Thermostat and it was 26 degrees in the bar. God knows what it is outside.

The companionship is great, particularly now when I have failed in carrying out my plans. Still trying to work out why my feet and hips and brain have reacted the way they have. Perhaps, 129 miles with 20lbs on my back, in temp. of over 35 degrees celcius might have something to do with it. Feel a bit gutted still.

I have a new found respect for those unfit, infirm and disabled folk that I see on this route. No matter that they go less far every day and go slower, or get someone to lighten their load for them. They still cover the same ground as me, in the same heat and you must believe me, THIS IS NOT EASY. This is a test for anyone. Especially those that do it alone and must draw on their inner strengths to keep them going.

But as I say, Arthur has kindly joined me and we soldier on. Two blokes, talking a load of old toot On the Road to Santiago.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame that you both have to fail. Wouldn't it have been better to have Arthur walk his route, and Mark to have had that extra day to recover, as instructed...

Imelda said...

Hi guys

Came on to the site just to say Hi to Arthur and send him some early birthday wishes, but have to respond to anonymous blogger: who the hell has failed here? Neither of you, as far as I can see. Mark, you seem to have gained an insightful perspective on the camino and the pelegrinos, even if letting go of your orginal goal felt a bit painful (physically and mentally)at the time, and Arthur, you have put companionship and support ahead of ticking all the boxes on the route - that's my pal! You go guys.

pauline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pauline said...

hi guys
Keep going your both doing great, it is also fantastic that you are both supporting each other, would not take any notice of what the anonymous blogger had to say is a bit of a coward for "FAILING" to leave their name