Thursday 26 July 2007

Mark´s Day 2

Well, what a day!

We, Arthur and I, that today would be run day for me as I needed to get to the outskirts of Pamplona today. That´s a distance of 24 miles.

So, we set off from Roncesvalles at just before 7 O´Clock towards Burgette where we were going to buy breakfast. Then it was time to say our cheery byes. It seemed a big thing to be setting off in a foriegn country, not speaking the lingo on my own and I am sure that Arthur felt the same (although he was probably glad to see the back of me as well).

Sections of todays route were so like the West Highland Way that it was incredible. Almost spooky. I made good time as I plodded along.

Now, the weather forecast in Roncesvalles had said that it was going to be about 25 degrees celcius. Great I thought last night. This morning at 9:30am however, I was cursing the weather forecasters for their incompetance.

The temperature grew and grew although it was still feeling ok as reached Zubiri at around 10:30am. What didn´t feel good was getting lost at that point and taking about 45 mins to find my way back to the Camino. My bubble was well and truly burst at that point but still managed to pick myself up and get on with it when I saw the sign saying ´Arre 12 km´. They have that wrong. No sodding way was it 12km. What made it worse was that as 12 noon came and went the heat got into the uncomfortable zone, particularly if you have almost 20lbs strapped to your back.

But I eventually made it down to Trindad de Arre at around 2pm thanks in no small part to a rousing chorus of (I´m gonna be) 500 miles.

Change of plans from now on but I will update you later.

Later Dudes

2 comments:

Johnny Dx said...

OK...you're well and truly on your ways now!!!
As I clicked on your link I had it in my mind to ask if you used any tricks to get you going...to keep you going...First thoughts were that you might sing..the answer was there.

Good luck fellas.

To Santiago and beyond said...

Cheers Johnny. Much appreciated.