Sunday 15 July 2007

A Trial Amble (I don’t do running)

I decided that it was about time to test out my stamina and so packed 16lbs into the trusty 5lb rucksack and set out to walk from Drymen to Balmaha and back. The main reason for choosing this route was to go over Conic Hill.

Aside 1: I met a lady as she descended to the Balmaha side of Conic Hill and she was so agitated at the necessity of crossing over Conic Hill that she could not easily find the words to describe her anger. Finally after many starts and stops she managed in her frustration to condemn it to perdition by the term "that bloody 1000ft obstruction".

Aside 2: In my family we refer to Conic Hill as Mount Conic. It was so renamed by my brother-in-law, John Moore, who once (and once only) trudged over it with 40lbs on his back. If I say he’s from Bradford, would that explain it?

Anyway back to Saturday. Much to my extreme annoyance, the WHW over Conic was closed due to tree felling operations. Was there any announcement on the WHW home page?

Having introduced the local wildlife to a range of terms, oft referred to as “engineering language”, I decided that a round trip between Balmaha and Rowerdennan would have to suffice.

The day was dull but that suited the task in foot. The view from the top of Craigie Fort was as superb as ever. For me this panorama is worth the trip alone.



Aside 3: Sorry but this is the only photo I have just now. Having my head sitting on top of Ben Lomond kinda spoils the view.

Met a few people on the way but conversation was not on my agenda at that time so a courtesy, “Aye, mornin'” was the extent of my communication. Grumpy, moi?

I passed by a lot of very damp campers who had had to endure the Friday night deluge. Some sorry washed out sights, the worst being a group of six young guys who had decided that a weekend camping at Loch Lomond would be a great way to spend the Glasgow Fair weekend. They were retreating to the city as I passed in the opposite direction.

I must admit that I am not drawn to camping as a way of engaging with the great outdoors. If I am going to sleep in a tent I prefer to do so in one of the marquee variety, especially those that have a bar as standard fitting.

Got to Rowerdennan after about 2.5 hours which was not too bad giving me a speed of approximately 2.8 miles per hour (4.8km). My target speed for Spain is 4km per hour.

Had lunch (bread with salamiiiii) and a cup of the best tea in the world. It is always the best tea in the world at a hiking lunch break. Also it is so nice to sit near the jetty at Rowerdennan. All the head numbing mince just disappears and you are left with the views and the peace to enjoy being there.

One half hour and one banana later (advised by himself that I need the potassium) I set off on the return leg.

Had more time to speak with people on the return journey.

Met a father and daughter team from Brussels and a couple from Holland. They were having a great time and thought we were so lucky to have all of these beautiful mountains. I didn’t mention the Devil’s Staircase or the climb out of Kinlochleven (or God forbid, the descent into Kinlochleven).

I met a lone walker, from Europe, who said that it was so thoughtful of the Scots to put all of these sheep on the mountains in order to keep the grass down and so make the mountains look nicer. This is true.

Another interesting moment was when I was asked for directions to Dumbarton by a couple driving towards Rowerdennan. It really was not their day.

Arrived back in Balmaha in 3.5 hours with tired legs and a “nippy” back. This is more the rate at which I plan to progress in Spain but I will have to factor in a couple of more miles per day (16 miles on average) and a modest 30 degree Fahrenheit difference in temperature. That will have an effect.

Arrived home and decided to practice some more Spanish walking exercises. The beer tasted just fine.

No comments: