Friday 6 July 2007

The long and winding road

Hamilton here.





The above is a nice wee map of the complete route and below is the schedule I HOPE to follow. Click on the images to expand the view.



The first week looks the worst to me even though it is not as much as the second week. Funny that. There is a problem with this schedule however. The fastidious amongst you will have carried out a quick total and found it only comes to 466 miles.

In preparing for this, Arthur and myself have looked at various websites, books etc for information. Each one of these lexicons of 'The Way' would contain a different mileage calculation. Not just in total but also the distances between Towns and Cities.

This could be soul destroying. Set out on what you think is a 28 mile run only to find that it takes you a hour longer than it should day after day after day. Not good. It will also mean that additional water and grub will have to be carried 'just in case'.

Of course, I won't be complaining if it turns out to be 466 rather 480-ish miles.

The one day I will chuckle will be the day I leave Carrion. The walking pilgrim does not like this part as it is 24 miles to the next town. So, they have to walk a whole 24 miles in the one day (poor Arthur!). However, it is on a plateau so I am off. That is the one night I am guaranteed a bed. Result!

Later Dudes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that the running of the route against the clock isn't going to mean that you don't take in so much of the beauty, savagery and just plain awe-inspiringness of the place, which is, after all, an twelfth century pilgrim route in an area where mañana rules. The buildings along the route represent some of the most fabulous extant architecture from that period in Europe. Most of them have a feeling all their own of being on a pilgrim route, which has a gravity and otherness, even if you have no faith. Don't run it all and pass this by... For example, San Juan de la Peña - one of the most incredible sights [/sites] - lies just off the main route and is an almost vertical hill. But you can't possibly go and do the Camino de Santiago without going there to visit...

Unknown said...

There will not be enough time or go in my knees to allow for off route sight-seeing...this time.

If I can get to San Juan de la Pena without transporting myself then great. If not, then it will have to wait.

Have to keep my eye on the goal and this time that is the Camino in no more than 23 days.

Later Kate