Sunday 22 July 2007

Weighty Problems

There are those of us who try not to pay too much attention to the additional pounds that come with advancing years. No matter how hard we try, the pounds don’t go away. Well I am now having the same problem with ounces.

For the sake of the young I will continue in kilograms and grammes.

Mark and I have to carry all that we may need for the duration of the trip. We are advised to carry no more than 10% body weight and for me that means 8.5kg.
The essentials are a rucksack (0.5kg), 3lts of water (3kg), sleeping bag (0.75kg) and sleeping roll (0.5kg). This leaves 3.75kg for creature comforts, such as clothes.

This may seem a lot but right now I am looking at a mound on the dining room table and I have no idea what is going to go. I have already set aside extra socks Down to three pairs (inner and outer), one T-shirt and two books I was really looking forward to reading.

If we could guarantee sunshine all the way I could get rid of the wet weather stuff (0.75kg) but apparently when we get to Galicia we get to the rain and big bits of rain at that.

If I gave up washing and shaving that would save 1.25kg (including towel) but I am not sure that that would endear me overmuch with my fellow travellers.

If I can be sure of not getting sick or only mildly so, I could give up the medicine kit (0.75kg) but hey, it is heavy hiking in 34 degrees C, different food, different water and the odds are that sprains, cuts and sickness will be part of the experience (whoopee). Which reminds me, the sun block needs to added, more weight.

We are now left with 1kg and a lot of that will be taken up with the light weight camera, MP3 player, phone and all the chargers (and conversion plugs) that go with this technology.

We are down to a choice of a walking pole, a knife, a torch, maps, guide books and a journal to record reflections on the journey. All but the books and journal (1kg) have to go with me.

So you can see the problem, stay clean, stay healthy or get lost in Northern Spain and do my PDP.

Answer in the comments field will be greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Someone suggested two or three helium balloons tied to the rucsac.

Anonymous said...

You could eat like a horse for a few days, consequently put on lots of weight, and so be able to carry more with your 10%.

Do you have to abandon items as and when you lose weight on the run?

Anonymous said...

well (is a bit late nbow, but still) the journal could exchange out against the mp3 player, if you got one that could record audio. the maps and the guidebook aren't both necessary - the route is marked and the guide books have maps. you could go pretty grubby, noone will really mind - 's'not like medieval pilgrims were fragrant, is it... also, spain is, last time I looked, a relatively civilised western country and has quaint little things called shops. you could buy some cleaning provisions and keep leaving them places - a bit like bookcrossing, you could do some shaving-stuff-crossing... ;-)

Catriona said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catriona said...

Thanks Dad! (Kilo's n grams!) You obviously know me well! (and i should think so to - after 13 years!) :D Is your bag really that heavy??? :) Just take steriods and you can become a big muscle man and you will be able to carry your bag properly! :p (that was a joke btw. Dont be getting any hints!! :D) btw. what happened with the bears?? And also whats a PDP?
Lots of love,
Your darling daughter,
(and your most favourite!) :D
Catriona xxx

To Santiago and beyond said...

Hi Catriona,
Thanks for your happy message. I means a lot to me. No bears, they are all running after Mark. Lots and lots of horses though, photos will be posted asap.

PDP is work and I am not doing any work.

Love you all,
Dadxxx